Friday, May 21, 2010

Johnny "Elvis" Thompson in Manila, Philippines

MANILA, Philippines - The first time I met Johnny Elvis Thompson two years ago, I noticed his uncanny resemblance to Elvis Presley even without any makeup or prosthetics. Deep inside, I was impressed because I’ve seen so many Elvis tribute artists in Las Vegas, New York, Tokyo, Sydney and the Philippines and he’s one of a handful that comes really darned close in the resemblance department but can he sing? An hour or so later after watching his performance, I was a believer. Johnny Elvis Thompson is based in Las Vegas and regularly appears in various venues at the strip. He has appeared in various movies, TV shows and MTVs. He is MTV America’s official Elvis and has won several worldwide Elvis competitions.

The last time I visited Las Vegas late last year, he took me around and introduced me to so many hotel executives and celebrities. Just his face value alone got me in free in some shows. When I craved for Filipino food, he surprisingly brought me to a very good one where the lechon kawali was tender and crunchy. I also found out besides the Elvis tribute thing he does websites, dabbles in martial arts and is licensed to marry people.

Johnny Elvis Thompson is currently in the Philippines where he will start his first Asian tour that will take him to Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore and onwards. He requested that I fly him in early so that he can soak up in the culture and cuisine he has learned to love even before stepping on Filipino soil. A lot of his Vegas-based associates are Filipino and so he is much at home with our food and culture. Just like Matt Monro Jr., he dreams of marrying a Filipina who can cook a mean Bistek Tagalog with lots of calamansi over hot steaming rice which is his favorite. He also loves kangkong with bagoong.

Johnny Elvis Thompson will be doing just one full concert in Manila at the Hard Rock CafĂ© tomorrow, May 22 before proceeding to Hong Kong. Included in his 90-minute set are Elvis rockers like Teddy Bear, Don’t Be Cruel, Heartbreak Hotel, Viva Las Vegas, Blue Suede Shoes, etc. plus honey drippin’ love songs like Love Me Tender. Dancing, hip wiggling and splits are also part of his repertoire.

Johnny Elvis Thompson will be supported by the fabulous Hotsteps dancers who recently concluded a 12-city tour with Kenny Wizz. Reservations for the show can be made by calling the Hard Rock hot lines 893-4661 to 64.

Elvis Impersonator

No comments: